8.7.10

We’re just singing in the rain—and the hail—and WE WON!

Telephones were such a great invention and today they help keep us connected. However, receiving telephone calls from girls that are hysterical are not the best alarms ever conceived. Needless to say, Rebecca calling and telling us how she needed to see us at the Colonial Café because she was hallucinating awakened Alex Miller and me today. So we threw our clothes on, skipped desayuno (breakfast) and went directly to the Colonial Café where we met Alejandra, la señora de Rebecca and Rebecca. Alejandra asked which one was Nate and I replied yo. She then proceeded to tell me that Rebecca needed to eat food and drink lots of water because her medication was strong and was best taken with food. After her señora departed, Rebecca proceeded to tell us about how the medication that they had given her at the hospital yesterday was making her hallucinate and hear voices. I thought to myself, where could I get some? She found out that her knee injury wouldn’t kill her and that it was just holding fluid. Therefore they gave her some painkillers for it and I would assume anti-inflammatory medication. We walked to the plaza mayor and I uploaded pictures from Toledo for a little bit. Eventually, we made our way into the centro for our daily classes.

Linguistics is progressively getting somewhat better. It’s not much of an improvement, but the classes are getting more in depth and making more sense. The assigned readings are dry and make you want to gouge your eyes out with a cuchara (spoon) but other than that, once explained, they’re not as bad. I’m learning, however, when and how to use specific instances of courtesy, saving “face”, and discourse over words that can imply multiple meanings. In our culture class we held heated debates over universal healthcare and what works best for America. I feel as if I’m expressing too much Fox News propaganda when I speak out against universal healthcare, but to be honest, I believe in both universal healthcare and healthcare that one can pay for. I don’t know exactly how it would work itself out, but I know that if the people who didn’t want to or couldn’t pay for their healthcare should receive good healthcare instead of being turned away or sent to a clinic that is half-ass. However, if one has the money and luxury can be afforded, then what should stop a person from bringing in the most special of the specialists with their own private rooms and pity parties every five minutes. Like previously, the statements were getting very heated and thankfully the class ended before we could start swearing at each other.

We didn’t have much of a lunch, which was quite disappointing. I was pretty hungry and all we ended up eating was some fatty-pork, little potatos, and an eggroll. Yeah it sounds good, but it just wasn’t as filling and delicious as something else could have been. The boys and I worked on some homework and both of the Alejandros took quick power naps. We were just about to head to the plaza mayor and use the internet and Skype when a tormenta (storm) rolled in, poured down an unholy amount of lluvia (rain) and it even hailed. Thinking that the water had tapered off, we started walking and as we walked, the true torrential downpour started and the only thing that was dry on me was my backpack and shirt. We stopped at the aqueduct because it was so heavily pouring and met with Brittney, a cute blonde girl who is going to Barcelona with us this weekend. We chatted for a good twenty minutes before the rain finally stopped for the day. Immediately after it stopped raining it warmed up once again. We met with a few of our friends inside the doors of the apartment building where the centro is located and proceeded to make our Barcelonan bus ticket reservations but to no avail. Once again something malfunctioned and we weren’t able to get the seats we wanted nor the bus. Putting that aside for a few minutes I Skyped with Mom today and Alex M. got to talk to his girlfriend, Miss Jenna. I didn’t even have to ask who he was talking to because the look on his face when speaking to her and listening was nearly indescribable. It’s the kind of look of love that girls dream about and boys think they’re too macho for. Alex, however, has no qualms with showing how much he truly cares for her and I couldn’t help but smile. It’s nice to see my friends happy. After we finished with the chatting of loved ones we thought that the bus station might sell tickets to Barcelona, we went there to try and buy some—once again—no luck. This is why I don’t believe in luck, because there’s never enough of it to go around anyway. So we returned home, showered, ate another disappointing meal, this time of pasta, (which was well made) but adorned with small pieces of bacon and mushrooms. And we are not just talking about a few small bits of mushroom; we’re talking huge slices that seemed to adorn every corner, turn, and noodle. I picked out at least thirty pieces of mushrooms, was thoroughly disgusted, ate what I could, and ridded myself of what would have been delicious mixture had it not been ruined by fungus. I found five euros in my pocket as we readied ourselves for the semi-finals soccer game of Spain versus Germany and knew that I would use it for my drinks this evening. We arrived at Oso Blanco just as the game first started—ordered drinks—and got involved in probably the most offensively played game of the season. Spain dominated this evening and even at the half-time break no one had scored a goal, which isn’t uncommon in Soccer. Finally, fifteen minutes before the game ended, Spain’s Puyol aka chico feo (ugly boy) head butted the only goal into the net Germany was guarding so fiercely. Roughly eighteen minutes later all of Spain was celebrating the victory of their Soccer team.

I think Spain is lucky to be so united in all of their doings. The United States can’t get united for anything nowadays. We’re so preoccupied with who believes what that we forget that we’re “One country, under God” whether you believe or not. We’re united by the sangre (blood) of those before us who have lived, loved, and died in order for us to be alive. Who cares about democrats, republicans, socialism, and democracy when we’re all estadounidences (United Statesmen).

We left after paying the tab of beer, wine, and sangria and walked around, watching the Spaniards celebrate the victory. Spain has never been to the World Cup Final and it’s a big deal for them. As well, the fact that they’re playing against the Netherlands’ team, who isn’t exactly known for their mad-skills in soccer, increases the odds of winning the World Cup this Sunday.

Near the aqueduct this evening we watched authentic Spanish dances for well over an hour and just enjoyed the feeling in the air. Everyone was buzzing with excitement and alcohol. Alex Clary went off and used a phone card to call his parents and his girlfriend and once again, it was nice to see my friends held in the warm security of knowing that their loved ones are safe even though they’re far apart. We headed home, leaving the chicas (girls) near the aqueduct and received many honks and yells because while the two boys were adorned in camisetas de España (Spain shirts) I had been wearing the flag of Spain as cape all evening and held it proudly above my head as we walked home.

The interesting fact of the day is when Alex M. told me at the bus station when I expressed that I was feeling rather down about not getting our bus tickets to Barcelona that I should have faith. Ten fe (have faith) of course is what I’m always telling people when in times of need. It’s the belief in Christ that gets us through the hard times and the perseverance, which proves our love for the Creator and the One who loves us, most. This, as well, coming from someone who comes from a Jewish and Catholic background and has no defined parameters for religion in an everyday setting. It’s funny to see God speaking to me through people who don’t entirely believe in Him. It reminds me that God is that all-powerful being that can exercise His power whenever he so may choose.

Needless to say, I think I’ve found a great new amigo whose relationship with me just keeps getting better and better. Los tres toros this evening had a great time, laughing, have a brew or two, and working together. Esta es la vida que he necesitado siempre. Gracias a Dios.

Post Script: I’m rather excited for Barcelona this weekend with aspirations of vampiric ass. Haha—just kidding—Superlobo Semana is not that kind of superloboquizás.

P.P.S. Wednesday was the 7th day of the 7th month, which means that it marked the first day of the encierro de toros (The running of the bulls) which takes place in Pamplona, Spain.

No comments:

Post a Comment