4.7.10

No te preocupes—Don’t worry about it

(FRIDAY) So today was the first day of classes. All went well. Alex Clary had classes at 9 and so the poor soul had to get up rather early and go to class. However, Alex Miller and I didn’t have class until around 10:50am (that’s 4:50am back home in Indiana time). So Alex and I got up, had a cup of coffee and orange juice, a few galletas (cookies), and stood out on the terraza (balcony) and just looked over at Segovia. We probably have one of the best views in the city because just to the left of our house is all of Segovia with the Aqueduct guarding it silently. In front of our second-story apartment we have rolling hills that never seem to end. So after a brief conversation, we washed our cups out and headed off to school for Linguistics and Culture.

Arriving at school around 10:30am we had a few minutes to access the Internet and chat with some chicas about what was going on tonight. We were going to meet up with another group of students from the states and have a drink with them around 11:30pm. They agreed to meet us and then for the next three hours we had class. The classes seemed a bit long and packed full of information but they’re going to be good. I’ve got two great professors and it’s very exciting at the potential brimming within. After school let out we headed back home for our big comida where we had delicious fresh fish, some French fries, and a veggie puree soup. After the meal, Alex Clary crashed and Miller and I chilled for a while, waiting for a small rain storm to pass over. After it did we headed off. While walking to our destination, Alex told me, because we had entered a shop to search for a soccer shirt for Spain where he did most of the talking, and he told me that he felt more confident in his Spanish when we left. It was a nice thing to hear that others around me are learning and feeling more confident in just the two days that they’ve been here. I told him that I was glad he felt confident because confidence isn’t something you can just buy. Following our conversation, we went out past the bus station to the edge of town and ran the mile it is from the edge of town down in front of the castle Alcázar. Once we got there, we walked for awhile, then ran another good half mile through a beautiful park next to the a river that runs almost directly around Segovia. Afterward we ended up in an older part of Segovia where I explained to Alex M. that in olden days, when men would take exams to be a doctor and passed them all, they would hire someone to write VICTOR on the wall in a manner that all the letters are touching and it looks like one odd symbol. Afterward, the man that passed his exams would throw a party for the whole town. We took a small off-the-beaten-path adventure and ended up exactly where we needed to be and then some—came back—showered—and chilled with Alex Clary until dinner around 9.

This evening we headed off to the Aqueduct, met up with a large majority of our group and had a few drinks at Oso Blanco. While there, I met with Rebecca and we both figured out that we wouldn’t be staying in Madrid this weekend because all of the hostels are full because it’s gay pride this weekend in Madrid—so it’s all full up. Oh well. So I think we’ve decided that we are going to go back to Madrid another weekend and chill and see everything else there is to see if we can’t all see it tomorrow.

Now I’m chilling in the room with Mr. Alex Miller—as he’s my room-roommate and Alex Clary has the other spare room with wardrobe (spare-oom, in the land of ward-robe). We had a nice heart-to-heart and I’m glad—it’s a good feeling to know that where I go, God’s going to bless me with some amazing people. Not that I doubted—but it’s nice to see that manifestation.

Tomorrow—Madrid—entonces—vamos a ver. Probably to Oso Blanco tomorrow evening for the Spain vs. Paraguay game. GO SPAIN!

No comments:

Post a Comment