15.7.10

Concerning gypsy death, you’ll have to avoid those “oso” dark paths.



Puns—seriously are my favorite form of humor. Most people hate them too, which is another great reason to love them. I like puns because they’re clever, witty, and not everyone understands them. Because of this, I can enjoy a little bit of humor that might take Mr. Jock or Ms. Beauty Queen a few minutes to process.

Skipping over the “boring” parts of the day—we went to class and it was boring like most everyday. I think that this trip would be much better without the classes—Alex Miller suggested that it would be nice if we could just have a big project that awarded us credit or not. But whatever, we will make the most out of it. Anyway, after class I called Chris Allen and talked to him for a few minutes and Mom as well. She told me that God had answered some prayers and a couple wonderful ladies from her church gave me some money for my trip. How awesome is that? So I’ve got enough money to pay off my debt to Lindsey and just enough to pay for my bus ticket this coming next weekend. While I was on the phone with Chris, the two boys came across a Texan couple with their two boys who were going through Spain. The lady was particularly friendly and gave us her e-mail because she is an elementary teacher and told us that Spanish speakers are needed down in Texas to teach. It’s a good opportunity and they start off at $45K a year. I could deal with that as a beginning salary. Afterward, we went home, dined on some fresh fish and a delicious salad/egg mix. The boys crashed for a little bit and I started to read the very dry Linguistics homework—I ended up falling asleep as well—mostly from boredom.

Later we wrote our analyses of the articles, chatted about what we were going to do for the evening, and “officially” planned our next weekend out. That weekend will probably just involve los tres toros because the girls don’t know how much money they’re going to spend. No problem there. However, when I checked the bus to San Sebastian, the one coming home was too full and so there wasn’t a way to get back in time for classes on the last Monday and skipping would result in the loss of a letter grade. So, defeated we looked for other beaches. We finally settled on southern Spain in a place called Nerja. It’s in Andalucía, which is southeastern Spain, and has a very beautiful beach there. I checked bus times and it was as if God had wanted us to do this all along because bus tickets ida y vuelta (there and back) were about 20€ cheaper. As well, we found an awesome hostel to stay at for just about $30 for one night per person. So tomorrow morning I’m going to make the appropriate phone calls and get our tickets bought for Nerja 2010! We are pretty excited because the beach is only 4 minutes away from the hostel and the hostel is 2 minutes away from the bus station. SUPER LUCKY!

This evening we decided to go out after dinner because we were bored. So, thinking we would go to Oso Blanco, we put on shoes and started off. I jokingly complained that it was too far and Alex Miller said, “Oso Blanco is oso far.” A wonderful pun for the evening and so I congratulated him on the great use of pun making. Well, Oso was closed, so we went to the bar street, stopped in at a place called The Old Station, ordered sangrias and played about three or four rounds of Uno. It was just a silly time and it was nice to unwind. Afterward we searched for another bar but then settled on going to Alcázar (the big castle outside of town) and looking over the lights. I then took the boys down in front of the castle but not before leading them a very dark and steep stairway path that saves nearly 20 minutes of walking but at the expense of sure death. Alex Clary probably had the hardest time, making comments about how there were wild animals and gypsies that wanted to come and kill us. I laughed at his comments and before we knew it, we were down in front of the massive castle, staring up in complete admiration. This was the first night I’ve actually been down in front of Alcázar. It was a great experience despite the fact that the yard sprinklers were on. I suggested we take the running path back but Alex Clary told me that there would probably be more gypsies that would kill us, henceforth referring to any scary place as “gypsy death.” So instead of taking the gypsy death path back, we walked along the well-lit road and enjoyed the beautiful sights of Segovia all lit up at midnight. I tell you, these boys don’t know what a little adventuring really is. (I say this as a joke of course—mostly). Alex Miller is a city boy and Clary grew up in Bloomington—so plenty of adventure potential, but most definitely untapped.
I think growing up in the country has helped me to not be so afraid of what could “potentially” be out in there dark and rather to face the facts that 9 times out of 10, the boogeyman isn’t waiting for you in the shadows. You might run across some wild animals or some thieves here in Spain but that’s why we were travelling as a group. All together, a wonderful night that leads up tomorrow being the last full day of classes for the week. Friday morning the boys and I are getting up early to go hiking in Granja, a small little pueblo outside of Segovia 20 minutes. After that, Alex Miller is off to Madrid to visit with his parents and Alex Clary and I will be left to our own devices, which can only mean pure scandal. That’s all she wrote.

¡Hasta Mañana!

No comments:

Post a Comment