(Tuesday)
The past two days haven’t been anything too extravagant—for this reason I haven’t found a need to blog. I know, naughty me, not blogging and telling the world all about my adventures, but I know that only a few people are reading this. This isn’t my opus, my masterpiece, or by far the best thing that I’ve ever written. But I know people are back home reading this and that’s good enough for me—so here is the blog for the past few days
Monday started late, we didn’t wake up until nearly 11am and that was a nice change from waking up early. Alex M. and I sat around all morning and afternoon and wrote two papers and started planning for the rest of our week. I received an e-mailing telling us that once again our plans had been foiled for Nerja—what a surprise? I think not. The e-mail told me that our room wasn’t available because there were no more three-person rooms at the hostel. However, the man offered to find us another place of equal price. I sent an e-mail back, understandingly agreeing that things happen and that we would take whatever he could give us. I mean we’re not going to let a little hostel problem ruin our trip, right? I told the boys and they were quite disappointed to hear that our hostel wasn’t available because of its convenience. After that, we headed off to class and just didn’t do much. We watched a very gratuitously over-sexed movie about a woman named Juana la loca, a princess who marries a king and then gets blamed that she is nuts and later on then her man dies and she takes his body all around the countryside talking to him. Nuts or not—the movie was full of Spanish breasts—which are not in short supply on the beaches here in Spain. We returned home—watched The Big Lebowski—laughed a bit—and crashed for the evening. Today was more of the monotonous similarity that happens everyday—we class—we eat—we nap—we homework—dinner—then bed. There are small variations—but for the most part, it’s all very similar. Today, at the end of our classes, I opened up my e-mail and to my surprise, had received a return e-mail from our friend Eduardo at the hostel in Nerja. He informed me that there would be no hostel for us. Instead, a two-bedroom apartment, complete with kitchen, refrigerator, two bedrooms, and a balcony for the exact same price—or less than we were already paying for the hostel, and all will be ready for us on Saturday until Sunday. Now, I don’t believe in luck. I think that’s a stupid thing to believe in. I believe in God—I believe in Divine Intervention and prayer. I know that it was God that put us there in that apartment for one reason or another, He’s been faithful of course, all this trip. Now look, instead of a hostel—we have our own APARTMENT IN SPAIN.
Okay, just to get a little personal here, there are times when I have these little thoughts—little tiny thoughts that just flit across my mind and I think to myself—that’s be so nice if…(fill in the blank with thought). The funny—funny—FUNNY thing about these little thoughts is that they always come to pass through whatever means. It’s not through prayer because I don’t pray for these little things, they’re just like added bonuses that would be nice—but I settle for what the good Lord provides because He sustains me. Well, I was having this thought that it would be nice to have cold drinks on the beach. Since it’s our last weekend we’d like to celebrate by buying a bottle of Bacardi and some coke and Fanta to mix up and drink on the beach. Well hostels don’t have fridges and booze isn’t sold cold here—so that was really out of the question. So is life, right? Not for Nate Dale, apparently. No, our apartment this weekend has a fridge, which means cold booze, cold coke, cold Fanta, refreshed toros sitting on the beach, chowing down on some pizza and catching a buzz and a sunset over the Mediterranean Sea. Aw shucks.
It all just makes me laugh. So many people just doubt the existence of God—filling in that blank with something else—Luck, Karma, Good Intentions. It’s all so empty. What greater power controls Karma or Luck? Good intentions are all just as jaded as the person they’re coming from—perhaps the most noble out of the three, but dead without faith. Anyway, I just thought I’d share.
Alex M. and I ran today—it wasn’t my best run—but it was a run nonetheless. We ate some dinner, drank a couple of beers in the house, watched Push, and now we’re blogging here. It’s been a good day, a good day to see God work, a good day to pass the heat by with the bulls, and just a good day. Tomorrow, I’m sure, will be even better. Alex M. and I have a large culture project due next Thursday and we’re going to try and get that started and finished this week so that there is no pressure over Nerja—just good vibrations and buzzes.
Home is just 9 days away for me—thus far this has been the best experience in Spain. All made possible by the love God bestows and by the guys I’m living with. Alex Clary and Alex Miller have truly made this trip for me and I’m grateful for them both.
No comments:
Post a Comment