5.7.10

A little bit of hope -- Una poquita de esperanza

So a question came into my head today and bothered me for quite awhile. The question was, is it okay to give someone a little bit of hope in the midst of darkness? This will be answered soon.

Today I woke up around 11:30am because the room was super dark with these blinds that come down and cover the outside of the window. I got up, took a leak, and then walked back into the room. Alex Miller asked me if I wanted to sleep some more and I thought that was a great idea and that we’d sleep for another 30 minutes or so. The next thing I know, Alex Clary is knocking on the door asking if we’re going to get up. We said we would and then our señora comes down and gives us a little bit of hell for sleeping until almost 2:30. Not realizing that it was actually that late, we got up and immediately ate la comida, which consisted of oven roasted chicken, French fries, and fresh romaine from a local plot that she owns. After lunch the boys and I decided to put some clothes on and see if we could score some Internet around the plaza mayor, so heading off there we made it there in just under 20 minutes. Arriving, Alex Miller noticed that his computer had no battery power because he had written his blog last night and not bothered to charge it. Now I know that Alex has a very nice girlfriend named Jenna that he loves dearly and misses her quite a bit, so I felt quite bad for the young man because he’s missing her pretty bad. So I suggested that maybe we go to the library to see if we could use their computers and plug ours in. Alex Clary was just chilling on his iPod Touch because he didn’t bring his computer, so he was cool wherever and has been able to use some Internet a little bit more than Alex M. and I. So, heading off to the library I could definitely sense that Alex M. was pretty down. I mean, I don’t blame him, when I first came to Spain, I was in contact with people nearly everyday because last year I had Internet connection in my house. This year, we’re not able to access it for some odd reason. So we’re all having problems staying connected. I feel bad that I’m not able to get a hold of my loved ones like Mom and some of the other people who have Skype, but hopefully I’ll be able to access the centro where we study at, during the evenings and have a Skype date. Anyway, to address the question from earlier, is okay to give someone hope even when standing in the midst of darkness and the hope might even be false? Is it okay to let that person feel a little bit of hope when there is none? Well, on the way to the library I remembered that it was closed. However, was I going to stop Alex M. from having a little bit of hope and happiness at least for a few minutes while we walked there? No, I wasn’t, because he needed it more than anything at that moment. So, to answer the question, it is okay to let people live with some hope—like a child believing in Santa Clause.

Returning the plaza we used our iPhones and iPods to check our Facebooks and I tried calling Mom and Evan on my Skype since my computer was dead as well. Neither one answered and so we went back home, worked on some homework for Linguistics and around 8pm Alex Miller and I went on our second run through Segovia. Today we took a different path along the river closer to our house. I wasn’t sure where it was going to take us, but I knew that wherever we ended up in Segovia I’d be able to get us back home. So we ran and we ran and we ran. It was just as beautiful as ending up in front of Alcázar but just with different scenery. Eventually we ended up on nearly the same path that we took on Friday which was nice but then we took another path and ended up somewhere off of a main road in the brush and trees of an adventure. I tromped through thorn bushes so that my amigo wouldn’t get too cut up and eventually we jumped over the edge of a wall and kept on running. Toward the end of our run, we stopped in front of Alcázar to grab a drink of water and kept on running. I eventually had to stop on the last bit of uphill that we took and we got separated and thinking that he had headed home, I caught my breath and headed back. Finally getting back, I realized that he hadn’t come back so I waited out front for him. About 3 to 5 minutes later, he showed up and told me that he had gone another way and had been waiting for me. We then chowed down on a dinner of white rice, garlic, and lemon with a mixture of veggies and eggs. It was a delicious mixture and I’ve got to remember to buy some bags of rice from here so that I can make paella and other Spanish dishes when I get home.

This evening the boys and I chilled in our rooms we’ve officially named la zona tranquila (in English—The Chill Zone). We watched part of Zombieland, laughed, and just had a nice evening. Now we’re sitting in our room, writing some blogs and sharing music. Alex M. and I have a little routine where we take turns playing songs. It’s nice to have some chill music time and to hear some good new music. These guys are slowly becoming como hermanos (like brothers) and it’s just nice to make that connection with more people in my life. Tomorrow is the first full week of classes and though I’m excited, I’m really just looking forward to more great runs, Spanish beer, the fútbol game Spain vs. Germany this Wednesday, and chatting in Spanish until my tongue feels like jello.

No comments:

Post a Comment