2.7.10

The New Family (La familia nueva)

So I’ve got to admit that today was quite a bit less stressful than yesterday was. I didn’t have to run around Madrid, just walk around with my heavy bags through the crowded Metro. At one point I felt like a piece of meat getting shoved into a box of spam in the lowest and hottest depths of the subway system in Madrid. However, once reaching the airport, sticking all of my baggage on a trolley, and making realizing that the flight of my fellow students wouldn’t be in for a good 30 minutes, I felt a lot better about life. I came across Dr. Lisa Kuriscak, a professor from Ball State who is teaching us here in Segovia. Later I met one of my roommates, Alex Miller, with a smile and a “¡¿QUÉ PASA?!” Along with some other very cool ladies we all chilled outside next to the bus chatting in a Spanglish mix.

Finally when the whole group had arrived we took our bus to Segovia, met our señoras for the month, and were escorted to our various houses. I’m living with Maricarmen Lomez de Montes and her two friends who are having their house renovated at the moment. It’s not too crowded because the ladies are always upstairs smoking, talking, reading, or cooking. They’re very grand ladies and I’ve enjoyed every minute of being her thus far. My other roommate is Alex Clary so in the house we have two Alejandros, which I imagine, is a little difficult for Maricarmen, but she’s faring well.

Funniest thing that happened today was when I stepped off the bus, Olga, my señora from last year spotted me and was quite surprised. She asked what I was doing back and I replied that I couldn’t stay away from Segovia; it’s my favorite place to be. We settled in pretty well, the boys unskankified from their flights and we ate our first Spanish comida of the month which was a veggie soup with salchicha which is Spanish sausage, had a salad with tuna which I ate around, and finished up most of both. There was salad left but the boys didn’t touch their salad and then Alex Clary asked me where I put it. I made reference to my height by saying that there is six feet and four inches of room here. I then informed him that the more we walk around this city, the hungrier they will be. After lunch I caught up on some readings I needed to do and Alex Miller and I crashed in our stagnate room. Waking up around 4-ish we made our way through the Aqueduct to meet with the rest of our group and get a small ‘tour’ of the city. Our lead instructor wasn’t speaking very loudly so I just gave everyone the rundown around me of what to look at, where to get information, and what bars were the best. We visited Alcazar and returned to the classroom to find out our class assignments and make reservations for the coming weekend in Madrid. I informed the class of a great hostel, Hostal Valencia, where I stayed the night before and that with four people in the room it would only cost around 22 which is pretty good. So all together a group 15 people, three boys (me and my boys) and 12 chicas are heading off to this hostel. That’s just in our little groupie, I believe that they’re might even be more. This is good because that means we will all be able to grow together and work together.

This afternoon, after our a little tour through Segovia, I took a group of people to Oso Blanco my favorite bar in all of Segovia. Upon entering I was immediately greeted by the bartender, Jesus, who remembered me and shook my hand, asking me how I’d been. Even the other bartender who works there remembered me. We ordered beer and croquetas and told the boys that it was the best decision of their lives. Both of the boys were in total agreement as they savored the first taste of the best croquet this side of anywhere and the tastiest beer ever invented. Then we five of us pitched in and bought a pitcher of the most delicious sangria ever that had at least six different types of fruit in it, brandy, cinnamon, other types of liquor, and of course wine. After we left, I showed the group a little bit more around Segovia, especially Telepizza, a delicious pizza place, Gran Hook, where you can get drunk for cheap on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, and a place alongside the Aqueduct to get churros y chocolate.

Casey, a girl in our group is living with Olga and couldn’t remember the way home, so I walked her back with the boys and showed her where her house is. Afterward, we met up with one of Alex Clary’s friends, Leeann, a cute Philippino girl who is in the AHA program. She and I chatted and we all decided that we would meet tomorrow around 11:30 in the evening to go and cause some trouble in Segovia.

So I’d have to say that overall, this second day hasn’t been too shabby. Hopefully tomorrow will be even better. Classes start and I don’t have to get up until around 9am with Alex Miller to get to class around 10:50 so I’m pretty excited about sleeping in.

Love you all back home and far away. Spain is treating me great.

No comments:

Post a Comment