6.7.10

Rule #32 -- Enjoy the little things

Sometimes life is not about what big city you’re going to visit, where you’re going tomorrow, or who is going to make you a millionaire in the days to come. Sometimes it’s just about enjoying what life throws at you today. Tomorrow could mean less if today meant everything you ever needed it to be.

We didn’t do much today. It was the first full week of classes and everyone is trying to decide where to go. Many people are turning to me for plans and idea of Barcelona and I could not know any less other than that we need to get motivated, figure out what we’re doing, and plan it very soon. However, Cheryl informed me today that she has an aunt that lives on a private island off the coast of Spain near Portugal and has about four houses that could be a possibility for us to stay in. She told me that she was going to send her an e-mail and see if we could come. If so, then Barcelona is taking a backseat to a private island in Spain. Lo siento, Barcelona.

Classes today weren’t too terribly exciting. I was getting pretty hungry by the end of our second class. Four hours of straight class get to be quite a long time. By the second class, culture, I had half lost interest in what was being presented because I know a lot about the culture and history already of Spain. So I just put in my two cents for participation and nodded when needed. Alex Clary spent our last class outside chatting on Facebook and Skype because he has two classes in the morning while Alex Miller and I have class starting at 10:50. I noticed that Alex M. seemed off his game today and I just associate that to not eating a good breakfast and the minimal sleep we got last night. He and I ended up staying up and talking until about 3am last night. It was all good conversation though so how could I say no to that?

When we finally got home from class today we had pork tenderloin, veggie puree soup, mixed veggies, and sangria. I really dig the diet here but Alex Clary isn’t too big a fan of the veggie puree soup, as it doesn’t do too well with his stomach here. After our comida we all crashed pretty hard for a couple hours. The heat was killer in our room and with the windows and door closed it just felt like we were suffocating so I opened the door. Finally it cooled off enough to sleep for about three hours. We all got up, did a little bit of homework, ate some churros y chocolate near the aqueduct and then I bought a six pack of beer for a whole 2.71€ which is a killer deal. I’ve decided that I won’t be spending any more money in the bars here and instead I’ll just pregame with the 10€ Absolut Vodka and the 15€ Johnny Walker that they sell. I’m thinking if I can find some Johnny Walker Black Label I’ll be bringing some home for my Dad since I owe him booze from last year.

After a dinner of homemade ravioli and fruit, we chilled in our rooms and finished up Zombieland. It struck me that the main character has one of the best ideas ever—“Enjoy the little things.” I think that is what we did tonight. We ate some chocolate, had some conversation, had a beer, and just didn’t do much. Tomorrow we’re going to Toledo and we’re going to visit where El Greco, the painter from Greece spent most of his life. I’m going to learn some more, take a lot of pictures, and enjoy myself with my new friends—but tonight I enjoyed the little things.

No comments:

Post a Comment