14.2.09

Dreams and Letters

Last night--I had a dream.
Epic (I know).
So in my dream I was at college and for some reason or another, I was told to take care of this baby girl who was probably less than a year old. In fact, she was probably a few days old. Apprehensive at first, I took the child and cared for her. She was a sweet little thing and smiled a lot at me. The next part of the dream, I was still in college but she had grown up to be a twelve year old. I was still the same age, but here she was, twelve years old. There was a lot of confusion when it came to why I had her, but I think it was because her family had gotten into some trouble with mob. (it's a dream). 

To be honest, I never thought having a daughter would be what I wanted. I think every guy at least at certain points in their lives, when they think about kids, wants a son. A masculine figure to carry on the family name, someone to share common experiences, someone to bond with. I've always been the same way, daughters are just so--needy. Sons, I would think, are more independent, less whiney, and they you don't have to worry about them fooling around with the quarterback of the football team (most times). Silly reasons not to want a daughter, but whatever. 

When I woke up this morning, things had changed for me. I feel more like an  adult now. It doesn't matter if I have a son or a daughter in the future. What matters is that I treat them and love them with all of my heart like they deserve. There are so many kids out there that deserve better families because of abuse, mistreatment, or ignorance on the parents part. I can't be picky if I'm going to eventually have a family, because there are sons and daughters out there that are abused daily by horrific families. Whether my future child/ren will be a male or female doesn't matter. What matters is that I treat them fairly and love them with all of my heart.

Now a letter to a possible future daughter. 

Dear Daughter,

You are a most wonderful being. Beautiful, strong, and almost fragile it seems. Can you remember when you first smiled at me? I love seeing your eyes light up when I'm near you. You are the universe and when I hold you in my arms, safe from all of the world, I feel--complete. You are a completing piece of the puzzle this life is to me. From your hair, to your eyes, to your little toes, you are perfect in every way, truly made in the image of God. I'm so proud of who you are and what you are to become, whatever that will be when you choose so. 
When nights are late and monsters pry at you from within the shadows, know that I'll be there to run them off. When you're hungry, I will feed you. When you just don't understand, I'll be there to walk by your side, showing you how. When the boyfriends come and go, I'll be the man to wipe those tears away. Because you're my daughter and I love you. Because you're the universe and I love you. Because you are perfection and I love you. Because you are mine, though not always with me. 

Love,

Daddy



No comments:

Post a Comment